Most of us do not spend a lot of time thinking about out heating and air conditioning systems unless we really need to, in spite of the fact that they made it possible to live in many parts of the country comfortably. Few us of would not like to live in the deep south without air conditioning or in most of the country without heat. Finding the right heating and air conditioning contractors can be a challenging but necessary part of owning a home.
- Talk to your neighbors, coworkers, friends and family. The best way to find any kind of service is through word of mouth “advertising.” The people you know can tell you who they use, if they like them and how they found them. If you move to a new city or part of the country and do not know anyone, you can look for groups on Facebook or check Yelp.
- Ask your realtor. If you went with a realtor or other real estate service, ask them about heating and air conditioning contractors in the area. They probably work with a few or have someone they use for their own home. They probably are used to recommending these kinds of services and can be a great resource, They should be able to tell you about what the area requires for licensing and training.
- Talk to a few heating and air conditioning contractors. When you ask them about their prices, remember that the highest price may not come from the best company but the lowest quotes may not be great either. A company that gives you a basement level price may not do the best job. Often, it is safer to go with someone in the middle range.
- Make sure they are bonded, insured and licensed. Make sure the heating and air conditioning contractors you talk to have all the right paperwork and training. What is required is different in many localities, cities and states so if you move to a new one, check to make sure you know what is required. You can talk to your local government officials. Verify everything and anything the companies tell you. You do not want to find out they do not have the correct insurance for worker compensation after one of their staff falls off of your roof.
- Make sure they have all their paperwork. If you are having extensive work beyond simple maintenance, make sure they have the permits as required by the city, state or locality. This should only be a real issue if the work involved putting in a new system or anything that changes the structure of your home.
- Talk to different heating and air conditioning contractors before you really need them. The time to look around for good companies is not when you need emergency heating and air conditioning repair. It seems these systems always go out at the most inconvenient times. Also if your area has been hit by a storm, there may be a lot of people clamoring for the same services at the same time. If you have a good company when this happens, you may get service quicker. and it might be cheaper.
Even the best heating and air conditioning systems are going to need some repair and service at some point. It is important to properly maintain your system to keep it operating at the optimal settings and level. This will save you money on your electricity bills and also extend the life of the unit. When they are maintained correctly, heating and air conditioning units can last anywhere between 12 and 15 years.
You should make sure you check and change out your filters as often as recommended. It is much cheaper to buy new filters than bring out heating and air conditioning contractors to do costly repairs. Most good heating and air conditioning contractors recommend you change those filters once every three months. This is especially important if you have any family members who have asthma or allergies. When the filter is changed as recommended, it will keep dust, dirt and any allergens out of the air that is circulated around your home and make it easier for everyone to breathe.
You must be logged in to post a comment.