Is It Time to Replace Your Home’s Windows?

Windows in chicago

Windows are an extremely important part of the design of your home. They keep high winds, snow, and rain out. They also let natural sunlight in. When the weather is nice, you can choose to open them to also let fresh air in. Over time, however, your windows lose efficiency and require window replacements. You may be hesitant to replace your windows because of cost, but you will find that replacing residential windows actually has many benefits to your home.

Better shelter from exterior weather

The purpose of windows is to shelter you from exterior weather conditions. Although older windows may still provide minimal shelter to you, they tend to let more cold and heat in. This can affect the overall temperature of the house and make it uncomfortable. Windows today are made with better materials that last longer and provide better insulation against exterior weather. Replacing your residential windows with these improved windows for shelter will also reduce the amount of interior heat or air that is lost throughout the windows.

Significant decrease in utility costs

Your windows are not only important in preventing exterior weather from entering the house, but also in preventing the heat or AC from exiting the house. When too much air or heat exits through the windows in the house, they HVAC system works harder, and you notice an increase in your utility costs. In general, you will save up to 15% a year on your energy bill if older double pane windows in a 2,600 square foot house are replaced with energy efficient windows with low E coatings, according to the Efficient Windows Collaborative, a coalition of government agencies, research organizations, and manufacturers that promote efficient window technology.

Decreasing your utility usage is not only beneficial for your utility bills, but also for the environment. Another important purpose of creating energy efficient appliances and windows is that they use less of the Earth?s natural resources. Many fear that we will eventually run out of these resources and will then be left with little options. Begin doing your part for the Earth?s health by purchasing Energy Star rated items, including your residential windows. Some of the best windows are made out of these energy efficient materials.

Increase the value of your home

New windows can also increase the value of your house. Windows are one of the first things that home buyers look at. They look at the roof, windows, and exterior of the home and evaluate how many years they have until it needs to be replaced. If any of these items need to be replaced sooner rather than later, the offer price will reflect this. Some buyers may not even make an offer, because they do not want the additional work of hiring a window company for replacement of all the residential windows.

The fact that replacing your home windows can provide you with a high return on investment is helpful in affording the new residential windows. According to the National Association of Realtors, homeowners who replace their windows can get back 80% of their investment. This means that you are really only paying for approximately 20% of the full cost of the new windows, as the other 80% will be returned by an increased sale price of your house. Obviously, if you do not immediately sell your house, the resale value will decrease over time, but when windows are high quality and properly maintained, they can last 20 years or longer, depending on the material.

Many homeowners neglect upgrade and maintenance of their home?s windows. This can be a huge mistake, because it can cost you a lot in increased utility bills and a decrease in your home?s value. Replacing your windows with a professional window installation company can reduce the amount of heat and AC that is lost, thus also decreasing your monthly bills. It can also provide a high return on investment, increasing the overall value of your house. Finally, new windows that are graded at an energy efficient level are much better for the planet.

Want to say something? Post a comment

Follow by Email